Sunday, January 11, 2015

PODs by Michelle K. Pickett

13425802
Genre:Dystopian, Sci-fi
Paperback: 312 pages
Published: June 4, 2013
Series: PODs
            1. PODs
            2. TBA
Rating:★★

Goodreads Synopsis:

Seventeen-year-old Eva is a chosen one. Chosen to live, while others meet a swift and painful death from an incurable virus so lethal, a person is dead within days of symptoms emerging. In the POD system, a series of underground habitats built by the government, she waits with the other chosen for the deadly virus to claim those above. Separated from family and friends, it's in the PODs she meets David. And while true love might not conquer all, it's a balm for the broken soul. 

After a year, scientists believe the population has died, and without living hosts, so has the virus. That's the theory, anyway. But when the PODs are opened, survivors find the surface holds a vicious secret. The virus mutated, infecting those left top-side and creating... monsters. 

Eva and David hide from the infected in the abandoned PODs. Together they try to build a life--a new beginning. But the infected follow and are relentless in their attacks. Leaving Eva and David to fight for survival, and pray for a cure.



My Review:

Personal note: This is my first review in over three months. I was in school and dealing with finals so writing this review was exciting and refreshing. I apologize for taking so long to post another one, but life just gets in the way sometimes.  I can't believe I went three months without reading a book!! (well for fun that is) So lets get to the review shall we?


Yet another sci-fi dystopian novel that didn't capture my attention. Honestly, lately every single book that I have read has the same story line and it's starting to get boring. The girl in distress, it's the end of the world, prince charming comes to save the day and bla bla bla... I have yet to read a book that has truly captured my attention and made me jump with joy!

Reasons why I didn't enjoy this book and some things I just didn't get!

1. The book talks about a virus. Okay... what virus?? What is the name? How did it start? How was it created? Why is it affecting certain people and not the rest? I mean c'mon! How does a virus not have a name!? I mean we live in a society where we name our cars and we can't come up with a name for a virus! That is outrageous in my opinion. The book talks about lots of highly educated scientist and doctors and they can't come up with a name!? Pshhhh okay!

2. The main character wasn't someone I saw myself connecting with at all. At times  she felt very emotionless to me and I just didn't find that attractive in a main character. I mean she was part of a world that wasn't going to be there in a few days. She was leaving her family, friends, school, and everything she loved behind and she couldn't express her sadness. Plus her just accepting everything that was happening just didn't make sense. If I was in that situation I would definitely have been angry, sad and probably would have cried my eyes out.  

3. The POD system didn't make any sense to me. I mean why have all these underground PODs for kids who were smart and could run the world after the current world died. Why force these kids to be separated from their loved ones in order to keep the world going. Let the kids make the choice for themselves. If they are old enough to chose what to wear I definitely think they are old enough to decide if they want to sped their last moments with their loved ones.


Overall, this novel had an interesting promise, but for me it just left too many questions unanswered. The idea was good, but the execution fell short. I know this book is part of a series, but I will not be continuing on just because I honestly don't have any patience to see what happens next.  


No comments:

Post a Comment