Saturday, October 4, 2014

Poison Princess by Kresley Cole

Poison Princess by Kresley Cole
13450339Genre: Apocalyptic 
Hardcover: 369 Pages
Published: October 2, 2012
Series: The Arcana Chronicles
            1. Poison Princess
            2. Endless Knight
            3. Dead of Winter
Rating:★★

Goodreads Synopsis:

She could save the world—or destroy it.

Sixteen-year-old Evangeline "Evie" Greene leads a charmed life, until she begins experiencing horrifying hallucinations. When an apocalyptic event decimates her Louisiana hometown, Evie realizes her hallucinations were actually visions of the future—and they're still happening. Fighting for her life and desperate for answers, she must turn to her wrong-side-of-the-bayou classmate: Jack Deveaux.

But she can't do either alone.

With his mile-long rap sheet, wicked grin, and bad attitude, Jack is like no boy Evie has ever known. Even though he once scorned her and everything she represented, he agrees to protect Evie on her quest. She knows she can't totally depend on Jack. If he ever cast that wicked grin her way, could she possibly resist him?

Who can Evie trust?

As Jack and Evie race to find the source of her visions, they meet others who have gotten the same call. An ancient prophesy is being played out, and Evie is not the only one with special powers. A group of twenty-two teens has been chosen to reenact the ultimate battle between good and evil. But it's not always clear who is on which side.


My Review:

This is such a tough book to review because there is so much to like. I really liked the idea of the book, but the execution was poorly done. I loved the characters, but they became boring towards the middle of the book. And I loved watching the puzzle pieces fit together to get the entire picture of the plot. However, there were many problems that I faced while reading this book.
            First off, the idea as I said was mind boggling. The problem I had with this is that it got confusing. The setting is in a post-apocalyptic world with characters trying to survive by taking out each other. The parts about the Flash (before and after) were jumbled up that it took a while to figure out where the story was headed. 
            Secondly, the characters were fascinating. They each represented one of the major players in a deck of cards. I really liked this idea of jokers, queens, and kings and trying to figure out which character was what. This got me super interested in this book. However, the plot fell for me when some more characters were entered into the mix. In the beginning the characters were entertaining, but towards the middle they just got boring and bland. Another thing that annoyed the hell out of me was the love interest: Jackson. He was an arrogant, repulsive, whiskey drinking, abusive stalker who couldn't make up his mind on what he wanted. He was all over the place, from being nice to being a total douche bag.
            Overall, I think I would have really liked this book, but towards the middle I just lost interest. I didn't have the desire to want to keep reading. I find that if a book can keep my attention till the last half of the book then it definitely deserves more than three stars. However, this book only deserves two. 


No comments:

Post a Comment